Art Techniques for Play Therapists
January 19, 2021 and January 22, 2021 10:00AM-1:00PM
January 19, 2021 and January 22, 2021
10:00AM-1:00PM Eastern Time
7:00 AM - 10:00 AM Pacific Time
- Markers or Crayons
- Printed templates (provided)
Play therapists often use art activities in their work with children. This workshop will explore similarities and differences between imaginative play and creating art in play therapy. Participants will gain an understanding of the progressive stages of artistic development, age-related developmental tasks, and hands-on experience with a variety of art activities for understanding children’s needs and using play therapy to help them to heal.
- Identify significant similarities and differences between art and imaginative play for their work with play therapy clients
- Explain the appreciation for the power of artistic expression in play therapy
- Describe the progressive stages of normal artistic development in children
- Identify at least one art therapy activity for establishing a therapeutic alliance with play therapy clients
- Identify basic supplies needed to incorporate art therapy techniques into the play therapy setting
- Utilize hands on experiences with at least five art therapy activities for use with play therapy clients
Donna Cangelosi maintains a private practice with children, adolescents, and adults in Wayne NJ, where she provides psychotherapy, clinical supervision, and parent education. She co-edited Play Therapy Techniques, Volumes 1 & 2, The Playing Cure, Essential Play Therapy Techniques, and Prescriptive Play Therapy. Dr. Cangelosi is the author of Saying Goodbye in Child Psychotherapy and several chapters and articles on working with children of divorce and the theory and practice of psychodynamic play therapy.
Due to COVID-19 health concerns, this one-time online event has been approved by APT for (6hrs) CONTACT CE Hours. The Play Therapy Training Institute is approved by the Association for Play Therapy (APT) Approved Provider 95-002.
Please Note: The CE certificate will be awarded within 3 business days to those who attend the entire webinar, complete a multiple choice test, and fill out course evaluations. No partial credit will be given. Play Therapy credit may not be awarded to non-mental health professionals.
Effective May 15, 2020 through June 30, 2021, APT Approved Providers may temporarily offer "contact" hours for online continuing education." All of our Live webinars during this time period will meet APT's requirements to provide "Contact CE" credit. In order to be eligible, participants must keep their cameras on throughout the webinar. Please contact us with any questions.
For general information, special needs, or grievances, please contact Beth Couturier at [email protected] You will receive a response within 24 hours