Psychodynamic Play Therapy
March 5, 2021 and March 12, 2021 10:00AM-1:00PM
March 5, 2021 and March 12, 2021
10:00AM-1:00PM Eastern Time
7:00 AM - 10:00 AM Pacific Time
- Favorite toy, game, or play therapy material (or photo if item not available)
- White paper
- Colored construction paper (if available)
- Markers, colored pencils, and/or crayons
Psychodynamic play therapy addresses psychological functioning beyond observable behavior. Understanding this theoretical orientation is important when working with children who often conceal, disguise, or act out their difficulties and underlying emotions. This introductory workshop will introduce key concepts of psychodynamic theories with focus on their application in play therapy. Topics to be discussed include: assessment, defense mechanisms, transference, countertransference, resistance, the roles of the play therapist, working with parents, and termination issues. Clinical case material and movie clips will be used to illustrate concepts and play materials for use with various types of presenting problems will be presented.
- Identify and describe psychodynamic principles in play therapy
- Demonstrate how to conduct a play therapy psychodynamic assessment
- Explain how to use initial play therapy sessions to develop an understanding of the child’s internal world
- Discuss how to work with transference, countertransference, and resistance in play therapy
- Describe how to build a therapeutic alliance with parents of children who are in play thereapy
- Describe the diverse roles of the psychodynamic play therapist
- Discuss how to deal with termination in play therapy
Donna Cangelosi maintains a private practice with children, adolescents, and adults in Wayne NJ, where she provides psychotherapy, clinical supervision, and parent education. She co-edited Play Therapy Techniques, Volumes 1 & 2, The Playing Cure, Essential Play Therapy Techniques, and Prescriptive Play Therapy. Dr. Cangelosi is the author of Saying Goodbye in Child Psychotherapy and several chapters and articles on working with children of divorce and the theory and practice of psychodynamic play therapy.
Due to COVID-19 health concerns, this one-time online event has been approved by APT for (6hrs) CONTACT CE Hours. The Play Therapy Training Institute is approved by the Association for Play Therapy (APT) Approved Provider 95-002.
APT CE Hour Area: Play Therapy Seminal or Historically Significant Theory (6)
Please Note: The CE certificate will be awarded within 3 business days to those who attend the entire webinar, complete a multiple choice test, and fill out course evaluations. No partial credit will be given. Play Therapy credit may not be awarded to non-mental health professionals.
Effective May 15, 2020 through June 30, 2021, APT Approved Providers may temporarily offer "contact" hours for online continuing education." All of our Live webinars during this time period will meet APT's requirements to provide "Contact CE" credit. In order to be eligible, participants must keep their cameras on throughout the webinar. Please contact us with any questions.
For general information, special needs, or grievances, please contact Beth Couturier at [email protected] You will receive a response within 24 hours