Art Techniques for Play Therapists23
February 8, 2023 and February 15, 2023 10:00AM-1:00PM
February 8, 2023, and February 15, 2023
10:00 AM - 1:00 PM Eastern Time
7:00 AM - 10:00 AM Pacific Time
- white drawing paper
- pencil and eraser
- crayons, markers, colored pencils,
- scissors and glue stick
- Shoebox or large envelop
- if possible, old magazines and play doh, model magic or clay
- optional: gel pens, water colors, pastels, pipe cleaners any other preferred art medium.
- Printed Templates that will be provided
Play therapists often use art activities in their work with children. This workshop will explore similarities and differences between imaginative play and creating art in play therapy. Participants will gain an understanding of the progressive stages of artistic development, age-related developmental tasks, and hands-on experience with a variety of art activities for understanding children’s needs and using play therapy to help them to heal. Many of the art Techniques presented can easily be used in telehealth play therapy session.
- Identify significant similarities and differences between art and imaginative play for their work with play therapy clients
- Explain the appreciation for the power of artistic expression in play therapy
- Describe the progressive stages of normal artistic development in children
- Identify at least one art therapy activity for establishing a therapeutic alliance with play therapy clients
- Identify basic supplies needed to incorporate art therapy techniques into the play therapy setting
- Utilize hands on experiences with at least five art therapy activities for use with play therapy clients
Donna Cangelosi maintains a private practice with children, adolescents, and adults in Wayne NJ, where she provides psychotherapy, clinical supervision, and parent education. She co-edited Play Therapy Techniques, Volumes 1 & 2, The Playing Cure, Essential Play Therapy Techniques, and Prescriptive Play Therapy. Dr. Cangelosi is the author of Saying Goodbye in Child Psychotherapy and several chapters and articles on working with children of divorce and the theory and practice of psychodynamic play therapy.
This Live Webinar meets APT's definition of a Live Webinar. 6 Live Webinar Non-Contact CE credit. The Play Therapy Training Institute is approved by the Association for Play Therapy (APT) Approved Provider 95-002.
Please Note: The CE certificate will be awarded within 3 business days to those who attend the entire webinar, complete a multiple-choice test, and fill out course evaluations. No partial credit will be given. Play Therapy credit may not be awarded to non-mental health professionals.
APT Primary Area: Skills and Methods (6)
For general information, special needs, or grievances, please contact Beth Couturier at [email protected]. You will receive a response within 24 hours